Aug 17, 2011

The Baby and the Harvest

Which is growing faster? I don't know if it's my accumulating years on this Earth, or my accumulating number of children, but it always feels like each season goes by a little bit faster than the last one.

Just last week I smelled that first whiff of late summer and heard the telltale chorus of cicadas reminding me to really soak up the deliciousness of what's left.

I've been up to my ears in vegetables and can barely keep up with the preservation. I've also been knee-deep in diapers and laundry and soothing the crawling baby who frequently loses his balance.

The girls have been spending their long summer days at the barn, riding horses every chance they get. Emma will be showing in her second horse show this weekend and Sophie will show for the first time.
They come home to me filthy and starving, talking non-stop about the horses and their cousin, Ava.

The boys and I have been sticking close to home, tackling those vegetables and enjoying the pool. Samual is a fish in the water and would swim every day if I let him. Talk about starving..this boy can eat like nothing I've ever seen (well, not including Emma.) No matter how many servings of dinner he eats, afterward he unfailingly asks, "Can you fry me two eggs?"

Sebastian Blue, aka The Turkolator, is a constant source of "Awwww"s and "Oh noooo!"s around here. He's a crawler and a stander (while hanging on to something for balance) and before I know it, my baby will be walking. I can't believe he'll be 9 months old tomorrow! Whether he's pulling the cat's tail or playing in a puddle of spit up, he keeps us all on our toes, but oh, how we adore him.

 Emma and her trainer (aka, my sister) 7/24/11:


Emma on Oyster:


The day's winnings:


The ferments (kohlrabi, pickles and carrots):


Green beans and beets:


3 gallons of Kimchi!


2.5 gallons of gingered golden beets and 2 jars of golden beets with fennel:


8/16/11 ~ still room for more!


The Baby

5/22/11 ~ 6 months!:


6/18/11 ~ 7 months!:

7/14/11 (almost 8 months!):



8/12/11 ~ almost 9 months!:





Samual

5/28/11, 5 years:


6/15/11:


8/12/11:
Sophie

4/24/11 (8 years):


7/24/11:


So many photos...so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment