"A man's most lasting influence on the world is seen in the faces of his family...in the light in their eyes when they talk about him...in the love they'll hold on to forever."
My Dad died last Monday, February 15th at 9:18pm. He left us very unexpectedly and suddenly. Last week we fumbled around in shock, somehow managing to get things done that needed to be done.We've shared a home with my parents for just over eleven years now. This is the only home my children have known ~ a home with grandparents who helped raise them with more love and patience than I ever could have imagined. While I know that this is harder for them because of this, I also know that they were so fortunate to have this special bond with their 'Bop-bop' and he with them.
My Mom is surrounded by the grandchildren she adores and who adore her. She is not alone and never will be. My Dad knew this and I know he found comfort in it.
In his last minutes, I whispered in his ear, "Dad, it's me, Ernie. I love you." (He had so many nicknames for us!) He tried so hard to breathe despite the tube in his throat, despite his pulse being so low the machines couldn't detect it and I know he held on just long enough for us to tell him that we loved him.
When I feel myself sinking, I say aloud, "You love me and want me to be happy and I love you and want you to be happy." And it's a deal.
Thank you, Dad, for everything you've done for me. You were loyal to the core and I wish you peace. I look forward to seeing you again, in whatever form that may be.



Dear Erin
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your Father. From his photo's, he looks like a wonderful Dad. Blessings to you and your family from my family at Down in the meadow.
Warm regards
Suzanne
Im so sorry for your loss, Erin. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete:)Lisa
so very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDelete"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man."