May 24, 2010

The Poor Neglected Blog/I'm Growing a Human

So I mentioned that I had a blog some years ago with a whopping three posts at the most before I lost all interest and officially threw in the towel. I think I was doing pretty well here, posting about our days on a fairly regular basis, even after my Dad died.
AND THEN, I got knocked up. Aaaaand the morning sickness kicked in and for some reason, sitting in front of the computer made it a hundred times worse. So there it is - I spilled the beans. This is the very first time I've typed this anywhere on the internet. It feels all at once freeing and like I'm stepping onto the stage naked. Maybe it's because it's the fourth time or maybe it's because it was really unexpected and I'm still getting used to the idea, but I've enjoyed keeping this news to myself. It IS getting ridiculously obvious though - and for 3-4 weeks now, people have actually had the balls to ask if I'm pregnant.
This little turkey is due to arrive right around Thanksgiving. Sophie had to ask, "Is it really a turkey, Mama?" Emma said "I think I'm going to faint." and "You aren't going to name it 'Edward,' are you?" (She just doesn't get my love affair with Edward Cullen....which has actually taken second place to Jamie Fraser for the time being, but um, anyway..) And sweet little Samual said, "Can I teach it to play with my knights?" My little boy wants somebody to play knights with him.
So that one time in the month after my Dad died - which was a "safe" time, *rollseyes* - turned out to be the perfect opportunity for this determined little soul to join our family. And so we shall be a family of six.

Okay, so now that that's all out there in the Universe - I can begin a brief update of our lives. I have a lot of posts tucked away in my head (and on my camera.) It might seem silly, but I need to post about things like the Mayfaire Festival...even though we're closing in on a month past. What the heck, when I look back on those posts years from now, I'll understand.

I've been slugging away (not plugging, slugging - because that's how I roll these days) at the dreadful estate stuff. I finally tackled the inheritance tax schtuff which is just...dreadful. This is like a full time job, and not a very pleasant one either.

Oh, and the office - I've made a ton of progress in here - thanks mostly to my dear friend Tara who has voluntarily assisted me on two occasions (for hours on end!) in figuring out what is what. This Saturday, she'll bring her dear husband who will bust into all of the computers and clean them out for me so I can start cleaning this space out once and for all.

I have Emma's portfolio looming over my head. It's due by the end of June and I have to admit, I haven't blinked an eye at it. I did spend some time creating her reading list the other day though and it's pretty darn impressive. The kid reads. And reads. And reads. This alone is enough for me - I mean, there's not much you can't learn from reading. Oh please god, let all of my other children share the same love of reading.

Oh! Tomorrow is our very first CSA pick up of the season!! Words cannot describe my desire for fresh - and I mean picked this morning "fresh" - veggies. And the berries, oh the berries! All of that warm weather in March and April has resulted in some very early strawberries here - and boy are they delicious - especially over yogurt.

Our chickens have been laying like crazy and we've resorted to selling some of the eggs. Last Monday I sold 18 dozen at sports co-op in under five minutes!

Last Saturday I picked up our beef share from farmer John at the farmers' market. Boy is it sweet to have a freezer full of grass fed beef again. Chicken has not been my friend these past few months...or pork - not even bacon! But venison, now you're talking. I enjoyed some marinated, grilled venison steaks over the weekend that were out of this world. We'll have a freezer full of venison this fall if I have to hunt it myself.

I've missed reading my favorite blogs and hope to be able to find some time to scroll through some of what I've missed.

Gosh it feels good to post again!

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Erin

    So nice to read your open post. Baby number four..what a blessing. My nausea with all three of mine was so bad that my pregancy experiences were met with gloom. Nothing I did made me feel happy to be in that state. I hope yours is over now..Thank you for visiting today..Our gnome/fairy village is a real winner here. The stump is not hollow but I do have plans to hollow it out. The stump is just so hard. I shall make a plan as My little Livy so desperately wants a room to be made inside. She cannot accept that the gnomes will just stand knocking at the door and not be able to go in~ 'Its cold MOM~!". The door does not open but I do have plans to put hinges on the door..Whats a gnome home without an opening door-right. Tomorrow we will be making a staircase to reach the higher rooms. This is all very exciting.

    I too wish for my stone cottage one day in the English countryside~ cotswolds I think~

    Have a wonderful day Erin
    Warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter made her entrance a few months after my Nana died. I kind of like to think she had a small part in sending that little soul my way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had those thoughts too, Wendy. In this world, my Dad would have said "Another one?!" But perhaps he thought we'd need a little distraction just in time for the holidays, his birthday, etc. I've read/heard that a soul will linger in this world for a while before departing (who can really say for sure) and this little one was conceived within a month of my Father's passing. It's a comforting thought, at least, to think that the little soul inside of me shared this world with my Dad's for however brief a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, the morning (all day) sickness is no fun at all! This time has been surprisingly mild compared to the other three - I still feel icky all day, every day, but I've managed to only throw up three times so far (compared to multiple times, every day until nearly 20 weeks with the others.) This is my first pregnancy not eating gluten and I cant help but wonder if that's the difference.

    I can't wait to see updates on the village! Will the staircase be on the outside, for now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh congratulations!!! I just read your comment and was like wait a minute?! That is so great. I wonder if you will have another boy and then we will both be back on the same track again! Im excited to be seeing you in the fall with the homeschooling group! Hope you are feeling better by now.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete