Our CSA has had an abundance of pickling cukes, cabbage and all sorts of veggies perfect for fermenting. My friend and fellow CSA member, Tammi, invited us over for a fermenting playdate.
The kids took off to play while Tammi and I chopped, peeled and grated green and purple cabbage, carrots, daikon radish, horse radish, ginger, garlic and dill.
We set everything out in bowls along with some spices like peppercorns, crushed red pepper and caraway seeds.
Then we called in the goof-troop:
The kids made their own variations of kimchi:
(Nice 80s do, eh?)
Super-fermenter!
After the kids finished their projects, they went outside to gorge themselves on wild wine berries. Then it was time for the adults to have some fun! (Why is it that I never get pictures of the grown-ups?)
We paused for a delicious lunch of frittata with onions, garlic and TONS of chard, some cucumber salad and a cabbage/carrot/chicken stock dish with some fresh ginger tea to wash it all down. YUM! Fermenting can make a girl ravenous!
I adore this season and its bounty. Pick up day at Sankanac is the highlight of my week - never knowing what the crops will be, gathering extras, picking our own veggies and berries in the warm sun, the fresh flavors bursting in our mouths...heaven. And come January, I can reach into my refrigerator and savor the beets, cabbage, cucumbers, kohlrabi, turnips and carrots that we lovingly preserved.






No comments:
Post a Comment