Aug 1, 2010

Homeschool Day at Valley Forge Park

On May 13, 2010, we went to Valley Forge Park for their annual "Homeschool Day." I'm not sure why they call it "homeschool day" when bus after bus of school children rolled in. *rollseyes*

I grew up within walking distance of Valley Forge National Historical Park. We often rode our horses (or, upon occasion, brought the horses by trailer over the river) to Valley Forge Park. I vividly remember a day-long trail ride that included Mom & Dad (& the bruises they both suffered from hours of riding when not accustomed to it.) I remember cutting school on late Spring days to walk across the road to the park to bathe in the sun with friends. I remember exploring the cabins and the cemetery, the Arch & the cannons. This is one of our local treasures that I've always taken for granted. People drive and fly from all over the world to see this park and discover its treasures.

We began the day in the Visitor's Center and watched a movie about the history of the park. After the movie, we ventured outside to listen to/watch some reenactments. 

 Emma, Sophie, Samual & their friend, Max, with some soldiers:


Learning about the life of a soldier:


Weaving:


How to load a musket:




Learning about what the soldiers ate (and yes, this made me hungry):







No comments:

Post a Comment