Aug 5, 2010

Drop Biscuits (grain-free/casein-free)

After devouring a pound of bacon this morning, I decided to use up some of our fresh eggs in a way other than, well, plain eggs. Our chickens have been laying plenty o' eggs this summer, despite the heat, so I've been coming up with a lot of ways to use up a dozen at a time.

This morning I tried out Bruce Fife's recipe for 'Drop Biscuits' (pg 46) but I subbed bacon grease for coconut oil because I happened to have some leftover from our bacon this morning & I left out the honey altogether.

We avoid grains in general, especially gluten-containing grains, and Fife's book, Cooking with Coconut Flour comes in handy quite often. I usually eliminate or greatly cut back the amount of honey he suggests in recipes. Sometimes I'll drizzle a bit of raw honey on top of our goodies after they've baked so the raw honey maintains it's array of nutrients.

Here's how I made them:

12 eggs
3/4 cup of bacon grease (you could use lard of coconut oil)
1 tsp salt
1 cup sifted coconut flour (I use Wilderness Family Naturals)
3/4 tsp baking powder

Blend first two ingredients together. Whisk in remaining ingredients until there are no lumps. Drop by the spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. (I didn't grease & it was fine.) Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Makes about 24 biscuits.


I drizzled them with raw honey:


I think they were a bit drier than they would have been if I'd mixed some honey into the batter. Next time I might add a little bit of coconut milk to the batter to see if it helps moisten them a bit. Nobody had any complaints and each of the kids has had at least six so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment